Teaching United States History

David Roeder
North House
Topic: Teaching History
EQ:

Monday, September 26, 2011

Random U.S. Fact Week 4

The first two navel orange trees in the U.S. were from Brazil and planted in Riverside, California,  in about 1874. Virtually all navel oranges grown in the U.S. are offspring from these trees. One of the original trees was replanted by Teddy Roosevelt in 1903 but died. The other is still alive today in a park in Riverside!

Why did I chose this fact? Because I've seen this tree. When I was younger. I think. My memory of a four year old is foggy but I've been TOLD that I've seen this tree. And who am I to doubt my parents?

1 comment:

  1. For goodness sake! Go see it! It's only Riverside. We will go after the field trip to the Luxor (lol). But seriously, take a buddy and go. And please let me know the exact location.

    ReplyDelete